Sunday, February 1, 2009

Am I really missing out?

Hey Friends!!

Gonna try to make this a quickie since I'm a little tired from this weekend. They really should start thinking about making the Superbowl a Saturday thing! C'mon, doesn't it just make more sense?! We had a great time watching the game though; I would say the most exciting in years!! The only thing that was NOT fun was eye balling all the yummy bowl food. I swear the three layer velvet cake (my favorite kind of cake!) called, no screamed, my name a few times. And the brownies...there's nothing better than warm gooey big chocolate chunk brownies. But, I was a good girl and focused on my veggies, hummus, and SF jello. Sometimes I really don't know how I do it. I blame it on my "all or nothing" personality and a touch of stubbornness. When my mind is set on something, it's extremely hard for me to deviate from it. That isn't always a good thing but in this case it helps an endless amount. My two mantras: it's only food and it's not as delicious as the body that I want to achieve..and I only have to be strict with my diet for four measly months; food is always going to be there. In reality, resisting the temptation of food is superficial but stems from a deeper root of issues that are not so much.

My friend, Justin, likes giving me a hard time about my nutrition and rolls his eyes when I tell him I can't have this and that. He eats on a pretty healthy basis but nothing comparable to what is required for my training. Since the majority of social functions are based around some kind of eating and drinking, it has put a strain on our relationship and I know he gets frustrated about it. "Why do you like putting yourself through all this Lis?" he has asked repeatedly. He then goes on to say that I'm beautiful as I am and bleh bleh bleh. It's not about wanting to look pretty...in fact, it goes way beyond that. Justin isn't the first and I'm sure he won't be the last person to ask me this question though. Going to bars and clubs, eating out, meeting up with friends for happy hour, baking for special occasions etc. are just common things that people do. Usually alcohol and not so healthy foods are involved....it's part of life....I get it. Right now, the lifestyle I've chosen is completely opposite and it has created a sense of distance with some friends. Most of them don't look forward to me training because of it. Very sad. It's something I think about almost everyday. Not the junk food and alcohol aspect but the relationships and interactions with my friends. But, at the end of the day, my answer remains the same. My countless hours at the gym, my precise clean eating, my overall lifestyle is my own choice. I do this for myself...for my own good health...for the "high" of an accomplishment...for no one else. I do it because I'm young and able. When I look back in 10, 20, 30 years, I will have stories of discipline, dedication, and purpose through these competitions to share. They might not be for everyone but it is MY path. And I just hope that one day, my friends will fully understand.

I've misplaced my digital camera so no weekly front and side photos to post right now....so sorry. I will post as soon as camera decides to be nice and turn up. In the mean time, here are my shoulder, tricep, and bicep workouts from this past Thursday, Friday, and today.

Jan. 29th, Thurs. SHOULDER
Military press w/ bar bell
--65x10, 85x7, 85x7, 95x5
Leaning one arm lateral raises on freemotion machine
--20x10, 25x8, 25x9, 30x7
Peck deck
--90x8, 130x7, 130x7
Incline front raises w/ dumb bells
10x10, 15x10, 15x10, 15x10

Jan. 30th, Fri. TRICEPS
Rope pulldown
--50x10, 70x10, 90x8, 100x7
Two hand extensions
--40x10, 60x8, 65x6, 65x6
Kickback w/ dumb bell
--10x10, 15x10, 15x10
Underhand pulldown
--100x10, 120x9, 130x8

Feb. 1st, Sun. BICEPS
One hand preacher curls on machine
--25x10, 35x8, 45x5
Curls w/ bar bell
--45x7, 45x10, 65x4, 45x10
Curls w/ dumb bells
--20x10, 25x10, 30x6
Cable curls on freemotion
--30x10, 30x8, 30x8

Til next time,
LM

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lis - Found your blog b/c I saw you were following mine. Great post! I have run into the same exact thing with friends and this is my first time...it's been really difficult for me, and would be worse if I didn't hang out with and talk to some other figure girls and bodybuilders. At least they get it. Anyway, looking forward to reading your blog. Maybe you can throw a few pointers my way since I'm a newbie and you seem to know what you're doing :)

    ReplyDelete